Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Dinner Helpers

I, like most mothers feel I have very little time to do everything that needs to be done and still falls short of it all. I feel like I am always in a hurry, have very little patience, and feel extremely exhausted which makes me think my kids will only remember their mom as a "crap mom".

Well, I am trying to take one day at a time. I still seem to be always in a hurry and the exhaustion part I am afraid might never be fixed, but the patient part I am really working on. ~Remember patience is a virtue.~

I am also trying to combine the whole patience thing with spending some quality, one-on-one time with each of the kids. I really want to make sure that I stay connected with them. I try to stay connected by turning off the radio in the car (since it seems like we are always on the go running errands) and asking each one about their days. I really try and listen to what they have to say and ask questions. I can't believe some of the things the kids face on a day to day basis. It is not all negative, but just interesting to me how mentally and spiritually strong my children are. Love it!

For the quality time I have established "dinner helpers". I know not every kid would look forward to this, but my children LOVE it! These are kids who love to watch the cooking channel and read cookbooks- definitely my children! I love it too! I get "willing" help making dinner, I get to teach my kids something that I truly love to do, I get to "talk" some more with them about their day and they learn how to cook (even the boys.)

Tonight was Tyler's night and boy did he ever help me. We made vegetable beef soup, potato soup, and grilled cheese sammies. Tyler cut up a pound of bacon and all the chives for the potato soup and tomorrow's dinner. He loved it! He told me how he might be a butcher when he grows up because he likes working with meat. Then he said that he really didn't know what he was going to be because he is really good at art and sports. The final career choice of the night for him was maybe a chef because he loves to cook. When would I have heard this or learned this about Tyler. I think the best part of it all was the satisfaction he had with himself once he tasted the delicious dinner he had a part in making.

Cooking with the children truly does require patience and I pray that I will keep being blessed with it. Who knows how long it will last that the kids look forward to these "dinner helper" nights, but I know I will always keep these fond, learning experiences in a special place in my heart.

No comments: